Termites are every homeowner’s worst nightmare. They slowly eat away at the wooden structure of your home and cause severe damage if left untreated long enough. Finding signs of termites is a troublesome experience, but the only thing left to do to solve this problem is to treat your home for them. You can repair termite damage and prevent future infestations yourself, or you can hire a pest control professional to help you solve the problem.
Signs You Have Termites
These are tell-tale signs your home is currently infested with termites or has suffered a damaging infestation in the past.
- Visibly seeing live termites flying around or crawling on any surface of your home (indoors or outdoors)
- Buckling or bulging ceilings, walls, or exterior wooden beams
- Mud tunnels appearing on the foundation, walls, support beams, etc.
- What looks like water damage or decay on wooden structures or fixtures
If you notice any of the signs above, it is time to start a do-it-yourself treatment plan or call in a professional for serious cases.
3 Methods for Treating Termites
There are quite a few methods for treating termite damage, but here are three that are sure to work. For severe infestations, multiple methods may be used in combination.
Liquid chemical treatments are not only cheap but also fast-acting compared to other treatment methods. The liquid kills termites on contact while repelling future termites from coming near the area. Many people prefer different methods since chemicals are sprayed on surfaces and can seep into unwanted areas.
Poison Bait System
Using a poison bait system is an effective way to kill a whole colony at once. The poison bait is placed strategically in the ground where termites will encounter it and feed off it. The bait is then tracked back to the hive on the termites who came into contact with it, thus spreading poison and killing the whole termite colony. This method also has a low environmental impact.
Sodium Borate Mixture
Sodium borate is combined with water to create a preventive termite treatment. Spray the mixture on wood structures inside and outside your home for complete protection. This method should be used to deter termites from your home rather than kill an existing colony.
Tips for Preventing Termites
Try avoiding a termite infestation to begin with by staying on top of your home repairs, maintenance, and general upkeep.
- Seal any holes, cracks, or punctures that might allow bugs to enter your home.
- Don’t keep standing water near your home. Termites and other pests thrive off of standing water.
- Keep firewood or any woodworking materials elevated off the ground and placed a safe distance away from your houses in Los Angeles.
- Stay on the lookout for mud tunnels or live termites swarming.
- Keep your attic and basement well insulated and free from moisture.
- Periodically treat your exterior wood structures to prevent deterioration and termites.
Want to know a secret? Tropical Homebuyers will purchase your property even if it has serious termite issues or shows signs of past termite damage. We are a team of experienced Real Estate investors in Los Angeles, and are always seeking to buy houses quickly in any condition. Want to avoid paying expensive Real Estate agent commissions and Escrow fees? Give us a call atto find out how you can sell your home FAST for cash in only 7 to 14 days. We look forward to serving you!